The Importance of Wellness Philosophy & Services
After you’ve considered the academic and social life on a potential campus, dig deeper to understand the school’s approach to mental wellness. College is a time of many changes. Find out who will help you if the transition is challenging. Take it upon yourself to examine each school’s approach to student mental health. Evaluate each college by the availability, sophistication, and specialization of mental health programs and services on campus.
Quick Tip: Orientation
After you have chosen a college, consider planning another visit to the school to talk with advisors, RAs, student counseling and other resources about their services and availability.
- Transition Support – Many schools offer programs during orientation and freshmen year to help students acclimate to college and support them during the emotional transition. Find out what programs prospective schools offer to help students thrive on campus.
- Residential Life — Residential Advisors (RAs) are often a source of support and advice during your first year at school. Find out more about who they are, how they were trained and how they will support you.
- Counseling — Should you need help, find out what resources are available to help with stress management or problems like depression. Does the school provide psychological counseling or support groups? What are the student/provider ratios and counseling center hours? Does the center deal primarily with day-to-day college stressors like time management, relationship issues or sleep difficulties, or is it resourced to address more serious concerns including anxiety, ADHD, depression and substance abuse?
If you’ve been diagnosed with a mental health condition, have struggled previously with emotional issues or have experienced problems with drugs or alcohol, it is important that you look even closer at mental health resources and campus policies when selecting a college. Click here to learn more about transitioning with a diagnosed condition.
- Classes and Coursework: Tips for Success
- College and Drinking: Things to Keep in Mind
- Dorm Living
- Greek Life, Service & Clubs
- How to Help a Friend
- Keep Stress in Check
- Six Tips for Taking Control of Your Emotional Health
- Staying Connected
- The Importance of Wellness Philosophy & Services
- The Negative Effects of Stress
- What Every Student Needs to Know